[Dirvish] Running pre-client script on a windows machine

Anthony Hill hill.anthony at outlook.com
Sun Jan 29 17:05:10 UTC 2017

So I guess this a much more complicated than a simple question of how to configure   default.conf   for Windows client backup.

I'm using this excellent configuration guide to setup my windows box :

    http://www.dirvish.com/Windows_Dirvish_Guide.html

It only addresses the rsync part of the configuration.  The dirvish pre-client stuff uses rsh.

Adding print statements to the dirvish perl script in the scriptrun sub shows the first problem - the script tries to call rsh on my winhost using a colon appended the host name.

e.g.     > rsh winhost: '  script stuff deleted ' >>/home/backup/winhost/docs/20170129/log

Note the colon added after the remote host name  "winhost"

So this is not going to work "out of the box".  And it almost certainly needs some config stuff on the windows side.  I can command line log into the remote via rsh :

e.g.     > rsh tony:@winhost

but that requires a password and leaves me in a kind of chroot jail.   But at least I know rsh to the windows client is possible.

What I really need is tips & pointers from anyone who has dirvish configured to run pre-client scripts on windows clients ?

TIA

Tony