[Dirvish] rsync error: change_dir "/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs" failed: No such file or directory (2)

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:40:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Paul Slootman <paul at debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue 08 Sep 2015, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>>
>> > tree: '/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs/'
>> >
>> > Using this .conf, I still get an error:
>> > rsync: change_dir "/home/household//'/home/household/VirtualBox VMs/'"
>> > failed: No such file or directory (2)
>>
>> The fact that rsync is explicitly showing those single quotes from your
>> config line tells me that those aren't working how you think they
>> should.
>>
>> As a test I added a vault with spaces in the tree, and strange things
>> happened with the tree name as-is; from the summary:
>>
>> tree: /tmp/This is a directory
>> ACTION: rsync -vrltH --delete -D -pgo --stats --numeric-ids
>> --exclude-from=/tmp/dirvish/x/20150909/exclude /tmp/Thi/
>> /tmp/dirvish/x/20150909/tree
>>
>> How it gets from "/tmp/This is a directory" to "/tmp/Thi/" is weird...
>>
>> However, with this it works:
>>
>> tree: /tmp/This\ is\ a\ directory
>>
>> No messing with any quotes.
>>

> I really appreciate your efforts to understand what is going on.  The
>   "/tmp/Thi/" result matches what I got.  I *believe* that my first
> attempts to deal with this was to just use backslashes, which resulted in
> truncating the character before the backslash, the same as the weird result
> above.  But I will give it another attempt.  Maybe I made a stupid error.
>

>> > And another question:  Is it possible to use a symlink to avoid the
>> issue
>> > of the space in the directory name?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> $ cd /home/household
>> $ ln -s VirtualBox\ VMs VirtualBox-VMs
>>
>> and then use /home/household/VirtualBox-VMs in your dirvish config.
>>

> This is great!  If I cannot solve it with escapes, I will go this route.
>
> Thanks again for all your help.  (Is this something that should be
> communicated to the developers?)
>
> -Denis
>

>> Paul

Well, I am perplexed!  The simple backslash escape of the space works!
After 23 emails back and forth I feel I have led you all on a wild goose
chase!  My notes say clearly that the  backslash escape was the first thing
I tried.  I even pasted the text from my default.conf file into a text file
to document what I was doing.  I am convinced that I did something stupid,
but I have no idea what that something was/is.

I appreciate your willingness to help.  Apologies to all.

-Denis