[Dirvish] rsync error: change_dir "/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs" failed: No such file or directory (2)

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:46:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Paul Slootman <paul at debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue 08 Sep 2015, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>
> > tree: '/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs/'
> >
> > Using this .conf, I still get an error:
> > rsync: change_dir "/home/household//'/home/household/VirtualBox VMs/'"
> > failed: No such file or directory (2)
>
> The fact that rsync is explicitly showing those single quotes from your
> config line tells me that those aren't working how you think they
> should.
>
> As a test I added a vault with spaces in the tree, and strange things
> happened with the tree name as-is; from the summary:
>
> tree: /tmp/This is a directory
> ACTION: rsync -vrltH --delete -D -pgo --stats --numeric-ids
> --exclude-from=/tmp/dirvish/x/20150909/exclude /tmp/Thi/
> /tmp/dirvish/x/20150909/tree
>
> How it gets from "/tmp/This is a directory" to "/tmp/Thi/" is weird...
>
> However, with this it works:
>
> tree: /tmp/This\ is\ a\ directory
>
> No messing with any quotes.

I really appreciate your efforts to understand what is going on.  The
  "/tmp/Thi/" result matches what I got.  I *believe* that my first
attempts to deal with this was to just use backslashes, which resulted in
truncating the character before the backslash, the same as the weird result
above.  But I will give it another attempt.  Maybe I made a stupid error.

> > And another question:  Is it possible to use a symlink to avoid the issue
> > of the space in the directory name?
>
> Yes.
>
> $ cd /home/household
> $ ln -s VirtualBox\ VMs VirtualBox-VMs
>
> and then use /home/household/VirtualBox-VMs in your dirvish config.

This is great!  If I cannot solve it with escapes, I will go this route.

Thanks again for all your help.  (Is this something that should be
communicated to the developers?)

-Denis