[Dirvish] rsync error: change_dir "/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs" failed: No such file or directory (2)

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Sep 9 06:59:14 UTC 2015

On Tue 08 Sep 2015, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> tree: '/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs/'
>
> Using this .conf, I still get an error:
> rsync: change_dir "/home/household//'/home/household/VirtualBox VMs/'"
> failed: No such file or directory (2)

The fact that rsync is explicitly showing those single quotes from your
config line tells me that those aren't working how you think they
should.

As a test I added a vault with spaces in the tree, and strange things
happened with the tree name as-is; from the summary:

tree: /tmp/This is a directory
ACTION: rsync -vrltH --delete -D -pgo --stats --numeric-ids --exclude-from=/tmp/dirvish/x/20150909/exclude /tmp/Thi/ /tmp/dirvish/x/20150909/tree

How it gets from "/tmp/This is a directory" to "/tmp/Thi/" is weird...

However, with this it works:

tree: /tmp/This\ is\ a\ directory

No messing with any quotes.

> And another question:  Is it possible to use a symlink to avoid the issue
> of the space in the directory name?

Yes.

$ cd /home/household
$ ln -s VirtualBox\ VMs VirtualBox-VMs

and then use /home/household/VirtualBox-VMs in your dirvish config.

Paul