[Dirvish] rsync error: change_dir "/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs" failed: No such file or directory (2)

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:32:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Paul Slootman <paul at debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon 07 Sep 2015, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> >
> > Interesting.  Here is what I get:
> >
> > tree: "/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs/"
> >
> > rsync: change_dir "/home/household//"/home/household/VirtualBox VMs/""
> > failed: No such file or directory (2)
> >
> > Looks like it got the name VirtualBox VMs correct, but what is going on
> > with this crazy ...old//"'/ho...?
>
> Check your config file for DOS-style returns (\r, ^M) which might not be
> apparent normally. Use "cat -v default.conf".
>

> Paul

Thanks for the idea.  I had thought of something like that some time ago
and did a hex dump of the file to look for invisible stuff; found nothing.
But here is the cat -v:

cat -v dirvish/default.conf
# Configuration file for R2D5-VirtualBox Vms (archive of /VirtualBox Vms)
# First written 18 August 2015 by dlh

# 9/7/2015 changed tree entry to '/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs/'

#do local disk copy
client: R2D5

expire: +4 weeks

tree: '/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs/'

Using this .conf, I still get an error:
rsync: change_dir "/home/household//'/home/household/VirtualBox VMs/'"
failed: No such file or directory (2)

I was asked earlier to look at the summary action line.  It does look
suspicious to me, although I am not familiar with the syntax:

ACTION: rsync -vrltH --delete --stats -D --numeric-ids -pgo
'/home/household/VirtualBox VMs/'/
/mnt/backup/dirvish-bank/R2D5-VboxVMs/2015-09-08-Tue-08:13:57/tree

 Is that a spurious forward slash just before /mnt/ba...?

And another question:  Is it possible to use a symlink to avoid the issue
of the space in the directory name?

Thanks for you interest in this issue.

-Denis