[Dirvish] rsync error: change_dir "/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs" failed: No such file or directory (2)

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:13:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 11:56 PM, Paul Slootman <paul at debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun 06 Sep 2015, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> >
> > rsync: change_dir "/home/household/VirtualBox\ VMs" failed: No such file
> or
> > directory (2)
>
> The error message explicitly shows a backslash in the name, so the
> problem is there.
>
> > When implementing this vault I found that I needed to double escape the
> > space in the folder name in the .conf:
>
> > tree: /home/household/VirtualBox\\ VMs/
>
> Have you tried it without *any* backslashes?

I thought that was the first thing I tried, but I made so many stupid typo
errors getting to this point that I am unsure. So I tried
 /home/household/VirtualBox VMs/ This is the result:
*** Execution cycle 0 ***

rsync: change_dir "/home/household/VirtualBo" failed: No such file or
directory (2)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code 23) at main.c(1183) [sender=3.1.0]

So what to try next?

> > I have tried leaving off the final backslash to no effect.
>
> The final slash is *not* a backslash :-P

So true.

> Paul

Thanks for your help.  You have reinforced my suspicion that dealing with
the space in the folder name is the issue.

-Denis