[Dirvish] Filesystems for big partitions

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Oct 9 18:38:16 UTC 2015

On Fri 09 Oct 2015, Michael Richardson wrote:

> We've actually gone the other way, but for different reasons.  We use XFS
> widely now, due to the 16 TB limit on ext4.  Performance tests on both

You do realize the 16 TB limit in ext4 is per file? The max filesystem
size is 1EB (exabyte, 1EB == 1024PB (petabyte, 1PB == 1024TB)).
I believe that by using larger block sizes that 16TB file size limit can
be raised; the filesystem size shouldn't be an issue for most users the
next couple of years :-)

> have come out reasonably similar, and we've not had any issues with XFS

I recall now that our XFS problems started with a system crash (kernel
panic). It wasn't clear whether the XFS problems were the cause of the
crash or the result of the crash...

Paul