[Dirvish] Filesystems for big partitions

Güder, Christian Christian.Gueder at insel.ch
Mon Oct 5 16:22:10 UTC 2015

Dear all,

We are using Dirvish since a long time to backup numerous Linux applications and NAS servers - and despite development is not that active anymore, it's still doing a good job.

We're about to expand our backup servers - this time using 6TB disks. This will lead to filesystems of theoretical sizes between ~120 and ~190TB. Right now, we are using XFS as filesystem, but the sheer amount of files is really challenging it. Does anybody have experience with handling bigger than usual filesystems using ext4, BtrFS, GlusterFS or even ZFS (using Linux)? Sharing any advices greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris