[Dirvish] Subsequently expanding the tree?

Isaac W Traxler traxler at lsu.edu
Fri May 1 22:01:11 UTC 2015

You could do the following:
- make a new backup for home
- initialize it
- move all of your existing stuff into the directory
- run the hardlink command: hardlink /backup/system/home  (or whatever it
is called)

This does mean that for a while you have duplicate files. It might work to
just change your config and then do an init and then the hardlink (without
the moving...).

After my backups finish, I actually run ardlink on each of them (every
file system I backup goes to a unique file system on the backup server).
Dirvish/rsync is simply comparing the current server to yesterday. If a
file keeps alternating between two versions you will have lots of unique
copies of it. By running the hardlink command you discover the redundant
files and eliminate them.

--
Isaac Traxler                             AIX,Linux Admin
Louisiana State University, LONI          traxler at lsu.edu
High Performance Computing                225-578-1923
Storage & Infrastructure