[Dirvish] Best way to backup clients, that are not always up

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Jun 30 23:57:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:23:04PM +0200, Johannes Kastl wrote:

> On 30.06.14 08:30 Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
> > I do have some pre and post scripts that fail per client when the
> > machines are down or removed,
>
> Do those scripts create the backup directories which only contain the
> error logs? Or did you workaround those somehow?
>
> Basically using 'ping -n 3 client' as pre-script should do, but I was
> hoping for something I would have to write multiple scripts, one for
> each client... ;-(

The dirvish rsync process will go ahead and try even if the pre-script
fails.  If rsync fails too, the next dirvish run will attempt to link
to the last known-good image.  Dirvish will keep running through its
client list even if some of them fail on that particular run, and it
will find the known-good previous backups unless you intentionally
mess with the dirvish history files.

Bottom line, backups work fine over time even if a machine is offline
for some of them.  Unless you write scripts to intentionally make
something else happen, but that is difficult and pointless.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com