[Dirvish] Best way to backup clients, that are not always up

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Jun 30 06:30:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:00:16PM +0200, Johannes Kastl wrote:
> What's the best way to backup clients, that are not always running? Is
> there a ways to check if the client is up and running, and only backup
> if it is? How did all of you solve this?

I do have some pre and post scripts that fail per client when the
machines are down or removed,  but those scripts just log extra
data (like df and fdisk -l), and nothing breaks overall.  Other
approaches to scripting might have problems.

My machines are often turned off or road-warrioring.  Usually that
is no problem - except if I am gone a long time, and a travelling
laptop isn't getting backed up.  For that, I bring a spare identical
drive in a USB case and use rsync to image the laptop drive to the
spare overnight.  Not too often - I could be overwriting crap onto
the spare.

Keith

P.S. the spare laptop drive has come in handy.  I had a laptop drive
fail 30 minutes before a presentation at a conference.  Fortunately,
I had my baby screwdriver and the other drive in my travel bag, and
did a drive swap minutes before I went on stage.  It was a geek
conference so I got extra points for that. :-)

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com