[Dirvish] Dirvish and Strato Hi-Drive?

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 09:54:30 UTC 2012

Johannes Kastl wrote:
> On 04.01.12 16:54 brian wrote:
>> The advantage over using rsync directly is that the rsync would
>> take a long time, sending all the data over the WAN. This way the
>> rsync is over quickly and dropbox forwards the stuff in the
>> background as fast as the WAN supports.
>
> I'm sorry, but I'll have to contradict you there, please correct me if
> I'm wrong.

Quite apart from the fact that it doesn't really matter whether rsync or
dropbox sits in the background making a transfer in the first place, so
the claimed advantage appears to be non-existent to start with! JMHO.

And rsync doesn't impose terms and conditions on you. (My employer
forbids dropbox usage for that reason, for example).

Cheers, Dave