[Dirvish] Vaults, Branches, and Images

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 09:12:32 UTC 2011

Loren M. Lang wrote:
> I had always been confused by how branches are used in the Dirvish
> arena

I confess I've just ignored them :)

> I might use
> the default branch to back up the whole filesystem, but use a different
> branch with an exclude list to exclude heavily modified, but
> non-critical areas of the filesystem, such as the directory tree used
> for automatic nightly builds.  There's no need to keep each nights copy
> backed up so I will exclude it from the daily branch.  The default
> branch can get run on Sunday, and for the other 6 days of the week I
> will run the daily branch.
>
> One issue remains with this approach, files that get modified which are
> in both the daily branch and default branch will fork into two copies as
> Dirvish only uses images from the same branch, by default, for hard
> links on new images.

Would it not be simpler to just have two independent vaults:
- one for the filesystem excluding the nightly builds etc, backed up daily,
- and one just for the excluded nightly builds, backed up weekly?

Then there's no duplication between images and no need either to
understand how branches work!