[Dirvish] Backup Drive Failure

madworm_de.dirvish at spitzenpfeil.org madworm_de.dirvish at spitzenpfeil.org
Thu Nov 4 17:52:48 UTC 2010

On 04.11.2010 18:41, Dale Amon wrote:
> I've had USB connected drives appear to be failing
> but then work fine after powering down and reconnecting
> them.
>
> I've also had a drive that did not have good enough
> air flow and appeared to have failed... but after I
> got another cooling fan in the enclosure it worked
> fine and the 'bad' sectors even went away.
And you dare use it as a backup drive?

'Self-healing' bad sector errors... but maybe I'm just paranoid. Do SATA drives do bad sector remapping, and do they do it well? Who knows...

I've had a quite expensive Raid-5 controller fail and give me crap like: "Overwrote bad sector during rebuild port X...". Suffice to say that all the
data was _thoroughly trashed_. And these things are supposed to be helpful against just that. But I had another backup ;-) Data spew.

R.