[Dirvish] Backup Drive Failure

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Thu Nov 4 17:26:39 UTC 2010

On Thu 04 Nov 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    Good local vendors are worth the higher prices we pay because the service
> can be outstanding.

I fully agree.

About external drives: I have a 500GB WD MyBook drive, and a great
feature is that the disk spins down if idle for more than 10 minutes or
so. Because of that I don't bother turning it off if not using it for a
day or so. Does anyone know enay other types that also do this?

I do prefer having idle backup disks offline and totally disconnected
though, as a switched off but connected drive _will_ die in case of e.g.
a lightning strike near your house. Offsite backups are also good :-)

Paul