[Dirvish] Backup Drive Failure

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Thu Nov 4 13:26:50 UTC 2010

On 11/4/10 9:17 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

>     I'll need to dig out the invoice and see if it's still under warranty,
> then set up a replacement drive. Because I've had almost all the hard drives
> last for years I'm surprised this one went so quickly. Have other dirvish
> users experienced early backup drive failures?

I had a really bad string of drives in external USB enclosures dropping
dead a couple of years ago.  I never pinned down whether it was
something inherent to USB enclosures, my environment, or inadvertently
purchasing a string of really cheesy hard drives.

Just remember that some drives have to be at the leading edge of the
failure bell curve, and sometimes it's just your turn.

Some brands will tell you warranty status based on serial number
somewhere in the support section of their website.

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com