[Dirvish] Has anybody successfully restored a Linux OS (f.i., Ubuntu) with Dirvish?

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at digitalmail.com
Tue Jun 22 08:38:23 UTC 2010

 The distinction here between backups and archives becomes
 interesting, I think.  We're using dirvish mostly for archives, with
 the expectation that in the event of a major (whole machine)
 outage, we rebuild the box and then import all our data.

 As Andrew says, this is easier if you keep your working data
 separate from your binaries / system data.  (It also helps if you
 have something like FAI and a clearly defined base build or SOE.)

 This can get complex, though, so you certainly do want to do
 some trial restores.  On Debian you can get stung, f.e. if you
 underestimate the import of the /var/lib/dpkg hierarchy.

 If you're not running a 24x7 site I'd suggest you look at running
 your servers inside VM's (pick your poison) with perhaps weekly
 snapshots and daily/hourly dirvish runs.  This is what I'm looking
 to do with our office file server.  This brings me back neatly to
 the importance of distinguishing between backups and archives.

 Jedd.