[Dirvish] Has anybody successfully restored a Linux OS (f.i. Ubuntu) with Dirvish?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jun 19 15:56:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 01:27:40PM +0200, Konrad Koller wrote:
> ... There is a lot of documentation about the saving
> process, but documentation about restoring is scarce. ...

Look at the wiki.  There may also be some PDFs of the three
part article I wrote for the now-defunct Sysadmin magazine,
but I have done test (and real, sadly) restores.  If the
articles aren't there, please try contacting Rikki Ensley,
my former editor and now at Linux World (IIRC), and find out
what happened to the content, and get permission to put it
on the dirvish wiki.

If you are backing up correctly, your complete file system is
ready to copy (back) with the rsync command, /almost/ identical
except for the time stamps on the symbolic links.

The main issues are (1) deciding which images to restore from,
and (2) setting up the boot menu and grub.  With newer Ubuntu
and grub 2, disk setup has probably changed radically.  Which
images to use are a judgment call.  I tend to restore because
of security failures or bad installs, and deciding what state
I want my machine in after a restore can be tricky.

But I am in the midst of 18 hour work days, so I don't have
time to help you further.  Hopefully the rest of the list,
and especially the Debian/Ubuntu folk, can help you further.