[Dirvish] Backup size

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 28 19:26:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:01:05PM +0200, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:

> One of my vaults have failed because there's no free space. So, dirvish has
> failed during two days. I haven't found whats happening because I had free

"df" tells you how many bytes are available in unused sectors.

"df -i" tells you how many inodes are available, when using file
systems (such as ext2, ext3, etc.) that format partitions with
a fixed maximum number of inodes.  If you are backing up a lot
of little files, you may run out of inodes before you run out of
available sectors.  If this is your problem,  future backup
partitions should be formatted with extra inodes.

For example, my 1.5TB backup disk is currently at 80% data usage
and 20% inode usage, but that is because I formatted the backup
partition with 4x the normal number of inodes.  In the past, I
have run out of inodes, and at the time there were no available
tools for efficiently copying data to reformatted partitions.  Sigh.