[Dirvish] mysteriously missing snapshots

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Jul 26 18:05:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:40:58AM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> You could also up the verbosity wherever possible and add extra print
> statements (pre- post- options, perhaps) and maybe run the various jobs

I second Dave's suggestion about running client and server pre and post
scripts (I do all four).  I use these scripts to gather extra information,
most importantly the output of "df" and "sfdisk -l" so I can rebuild
disks more easily, and do forensics.  That is also where I cancel out
that night's dirvish run to a client if an rsync is already running,
and build a line of status information to save in a terse backup log.

In the pre-client, I also run a silly little C program I wrote called
"bigalloc", which builds a huge memory array and then releases it.
This pushes most seldom-used programs out of ram and into swap,
making rsync run faster.  Or at least it did 3 years ago;  perhaps
the kernel and rsync have improved so this is not necessary.  In any
case, if the program fails before rsync runs, I learn something useful.

Here is a very old writeup that describes some of my scripts:
   http://www.keithl.com/linuxbackup.html
Needs updating and correcting - six years old! - but it should give
you some ideas.  BTW, JW disliked the illustration, which is why it
is not on the website.