[Dirvish] mysteriously missing snapshots

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 26 15:37:06 UTC 2010

Jason Boxman wrote:
> Yes.  Missing in that as far as the expected daily snapshot direct
> doesn't appear when I go looking for it.  dirvish-runall won't remove
> them, so it's either dirvish-expire or the missing directory was never
> created.  I set expire-default +60 and have no special expire rules set
> anywhere, though.

As long as you run dirvish-expire before dirvish-runall, there shouldn't
be any possibility of it deleting a new snapshot, because it won't exist
yet.

>> Have you tried running the missing snapshots manually to see what  happens?
>
> Not yet.  I suspect they will succeed since every vault with a missing
> snapshot ultimately has 90% of the other snapshot directories.

As long as it's a random problem with just a few snapshots I guess that
means you still have a reasonably up-to-date backup of everything (two
days old or better?)

> Yeah, kind of operating in the dark here.  Sigh.

One other thought I had is to check the logs on the clients to see
whether they've been accessed by ssh or rsyncd or whatever you're using.
They might show a rejected connection attempt or a timeout or somesuch.

Cheers, Dave