[Dirvish] mysteriously missing snapshots

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Mon Jul 26 14:32:58 UTC 2010

On 7/26/2010 5:40 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Jason Boxman wrote:
>> Been using Dirvish since like 2003 and I've never seen this behavior before.
>>
>> Apparently at random snapshots for different vaults simply don't exist.  No
>> directory.  No log.  Nothing in default.hist to indicate it ever actually
>> happened.  Other backups happen for that run, however.
>
> Just to check I understand your situation. You have one server, backing
> up several clients? Random snapshots for different clients go missing?

Yes.  Missing in that as far as the expected daily snapshot direct
doesn't appear when I go looking for it.  dirvish-runall won't remove
them, so it's either dirvish-expire or the missing directory was never
created.  I set expire-default +60 and have no special expire rules set
anywhere, though.

>    dirvish-cron is
>> running every night at the Debian default 10:04 p.m.  (Verified in syslog.)
>> Most hosts are on the local LAN, so it shouldn't be a connectivity issue.
>> (Even then I'd have a dated directory with a log... not this time.)
>>
>> Any thoughts on what to look for?
>
> I've never seen anything like that either. So I suspect it will be a
> doh! moment when you do find it.
>
> If my assumptions about your situation are correct, I'd be looking at
> whatever has been updated on your server recently :)

Yes, the original backup server failed.  I moved over my configuration
files and the snapshots.  Why it would be different now is a mystery.

> Have you tried running the missing snapshots manually to see what  happens?

Not yet.  I suspect they will succeed since every vault with a missing
snapshot ultimately has 90% of the other snapshot directories.

> You could also up the verbosity wherever possible and add extra print
> statements (pre- post- options, perhaps) and maybe run the various jobs
> in separate groups (i.e. use extra /etc/dirvish/*.conf files) so you get
> separate output.

Yeah, kind of operating in the dark here.  Sigh.

The original server was running backups at 3 a.m.  I might just switch
back the time first and go from there...

Thanks!