[Dirvish] mysteriously missing snapshots

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 26 09:40:58 UTC 2010

Jason Boxman wrote:
> Been using Dirvish since like 2003 and I've never seen this behavior before.
>
> Apparently at random snapshots for different vaults simply don't exist.  No
> directory.  No log.  Nothing in default.hist to indicate it ever actually
> happened.  Other backups happen for that run, however.

Just to check I understand your situation. You have one server, backing
up several clients? Random snapshots for different clients go missing?

  dirvish-cron is
> running every night at the Debian default 10:04 p.m.  (Verified in syslog.)
> Most hosts are on the local LAN, so it shouldn't be a connectivity issue.
> (Even then I'd have a dated directory with a log... not this time.)
>
> Any thoughts on what to look for?

I've never seen anything like that either. So I suspect it will be a
doh! moment when you do find it.

If my assumptions about your situation are correct, I'd be looking at
whatever has been updated on your server recently :)

Have you tried running the missing snapshots manually to see what  happens?

You could also up the verbosity wherever possible and add extra print
statements (pre- post- options, perhaps) and maybe run the various jobs
in separate groups (i.e. use extra /etc/dirvish/*.conf files) so you get
separate output.

Best of luck,
Dave