[Dirvish] Restoring File(s) from Backup

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 16 23:06:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Don Gould wrote:

> /media/hd0/backup/dirvish/server/a-home/home/shared-data/201000715-2200/tree

Don,

   That's where I went wrong. I thought that dirvish-locate produced the file
name when it actually produces the directory in which that file is backed
up.

> Your problem, as I see it, is that you don't seem to understand how
> dirvish is laying out the files in the back up folder.

   Yes. I completely forgot since I've been backing up files with dirvish
since last year and haven't had the need to copy one back to the source
drive since then.

> I would also recommend you install mc (- midnight commander - a powerful
> file manager).

   I played with mc years ago with Red Hat 4.0, when I first migrated to
linux. It is a nice ncurses app, but I found it more useful to work just on
the command line and that's what I've done for more than a dozen years now.

   Now I'm back on track.

Thanks,

Rich