[Dirvish] Restoring File(s) from Backup

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 16 22:33:22 UTC 2010

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Don Gould wrote:

> As I understand it (and I'm new to dirvish too) there aren't any tools to
> copy files back.  You just use the linux cp command to get them back.

Don,

   This I understand.

> The purpose of the locate tool is just to scan the index files and tell
> you which backups your file exists in.  After that you just make your way
> through the folder tree.

   I understand this, too.

   It's the syntax I don't get correct.

>> /home/shared-data/wamu-2006.jgnash.xml
>>       Feb  8  2009 20100715-2200

   The above is the backup file I want to restore. I want this to be copied
to /home/shared-data/wamu-2006.jgnash.xml. So, is the syntax

cp
/media/hd0/backup/dirvish/server/a-home/home/shared-data/wamu-2006.jgnash.xml/201000715-2200
/home/shared-data/wamu-2006.jgnash.xml ?

   That did not work before. What is the fully qualified file name of a
specific dirvish backed up file?

Thanks,

Rich