[Dirvish] Dirvish Digest, Vol 68, Issue 2

Jenny Hopkins hopkins.jenny at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 18:20:13 UTC 2010

On 16 July 2010 07:37, JPH <jph4dotcom at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Why not use  some of the standard hooks in the dirvish.conf?
>
> pre-server pre-client post-client post-server
> Check the dirvish docs:
> http://www.dirvish.org/FAQ.html#pre_and_post_configuration_scripts
>
> JP

Fantastic, that's probably the hint i need!  (Top-posted and all ;-)

> From: Eric Searcy <emsearcy at gmail.com>
>

> Couple thoughts:
>
> I wouldn't have dirvish-runall conditional on dirvish-expire succeeding
> (&&).  Running your scheduled backup is (presumably) too important to skip
> just because some old copies might have failed deleting (actually I'm not
> sure what conditions would cause dirvish-expire to return non-zero, but I'd
> want to press on with the backups regardless).

Alright - thanks for the hint.

> While you're at it, put dirvish-expire before your lvm snapshot creation.
> Expiring could take awhile, and you'd just be making the snapshot volume
> store more blocks (if it's a write-heavy LV) by increasing the time between
> LV snapshot creation and deletion.
>
> That done, you'd get rid of the && before the dirvish-runall line, and you
> could have:
>
> dirvish-runall --quiet
> rc=$?
>
> Which hopefully wouldn't have the error ...

I'll try the suggestion both yourself and JPH made about the hook
script first, but I'll definitely put the runall on a separate line
from the expire like this.

> Last thought would be to switch to post/pre-server commands for the vault in
> question (assuming a local dirvish backup from the looks of it? ...
> otherwise pre/post-client).  Would be "cleaner" if you have other vaults to
> backup that don't need to be inside the snapshot critical-space. :-)
>
> Eric

I'll try this straightaway!

Thanks very much,

Jenny