[Dirvish] dirvish, pink ponies and duplicity

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Mon Jan 25 18:15:29 UTC 2010

Hi Richard,

I have been investigating Duplicity too and the problem is that it is
not as slick as Dirvish when it comes to continuous incremental backups.

Duplicity makes a full backup and then adds the incremental ones on
top.  Every week or so you have to make a new full backup which means
transferring your entire dataset to the offsite server again.  You can't
take an image from your last successful incremental session [plus the
original full backup of course] and use that as the new full backup.
You have to start from scratch again and transfer the whole lot which
means problems when you have 50Gb of data which changes only by 500MB/day.

At least this is what I have discovered  hopefully someone can say
that's wrong...

So Dirvish is my choice and I too am still working out the best way to
get encrypted Dirvish-style backups stored remotely without using
encrypted filesystems.

Cheers
Noel