[Dirvish] dirvish, pink ponies and duplicity

Richard dirvish at rain4us.net
Mon Jan 25 16:47:17 UTC 2010

Well, since I seem to be on a roll this morning with the dirvish mailing
list participation and since I'm still hoping for one of those pink
ponies, I thought I'd bring up another backup situation/need.

Once again I am trying to PUSH a backup to another server.  I am trying
to configure some remote rsync disk space ( a la rsync.net ) to store
backups.  I know that dirvish is meant as a pull solution but I was
wondering if anyone out there had configured it to push backups?

I know that the point of pull backups is that the backup server is
configured to be secure and just pushing a backup means it isn't.   But
what about incorporating something like duplicity?  Maybe incorporating
is not the correct word and maybe even the thought of adding the
functionality of Duplicity to Dirvish is just a wacky idea.  But I
thought I'd throw it out there.  It would be one way to PUSH backups.

Duplicity:   Duplicity backs up directories by producing encrypted
tar-format volumes and uploading them to a remote or local file server.
Because duplicity uses librsync
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/librsync>, the incremental archives are
space efficient and only record the parts of files that have changed
since the last backup. Because duplicity uses GnuPG
<http://www.gnupg.org/> to encrypt and/or sign these archives, they will
be safe from spying and/or modification by the server.

(waiting for the cries of, "Just use dirvish for pulls and duplicity for
pushes.  Why are you bothering the list with that Duplicity python
nonsense!  No more fru-fru drinks with little umbrellas for you!  And
for sure you don't get your pink pony now. )

--
Richard (seemingly always too caffeinated)