[Dirvish] Cleaning Up A Repeating Error

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 19 14:35:23 UTC 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:
> Rsync-Errors (/media/hd0/backup/dirvish/server/a-tmp/20091227-2200/tree/../rsync_error):
> RSYNC_ERR:
> RSYNC_ERR:
> RSYNC_ERR:        *** Execution cycle 0 ***
> RSYNC_ERR:
> RSYNC_ERR:        file has vanished: "/tmp/.spamassassin79900xjkUNtmp"
> RSYNC_ERR:        rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1040) [sender=3.0.4]

Just FYI, AFAIK, that error messages indicates that
/tmp/.spamassassin79900xjkUNtmp existed on the client when rsync started
running but did not exist when rsync finished (i.e. something on the
client system deleted the file) ['started' and 'finished' are
approximate terms here].

The message commonly occurs when active temporary directories are
backed-up, I believe. I never backup temporary directories myself.

Cheers, Dave