[Dirvish] btrfs, changes, project ownership

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Dec 14 03:08:27 UTC 2010

Keith, your often-absent host here:

The btrfs stuff looks interesting, and I would like to see an
experimental branch of dirvish test out such things.  For the
main branch, I don't want to release anything, even changes that
"ought to have no effect", without testing on multiple systems.
There are many sites using dirvish for backup because it Just
Works;  for example, the Mozilla project and kernel.org .
We don't want to risk those!

That said, I have zero time to manage the process.  Ambitious
individuals occasionally offer to take over the hosting and
management of the project.  I suggest they present themselves
to you folks, and you can grill them, and they can demonstrate
to you what excellent new hosts they will be.  So far, nobody
has moved to step 2, so you are still stuck with me.

I would love to see new features in dirvish, most especially
better installation, better testing tools, and better recovery
tools.  I would love to see the code refactored into libraries
to make experiments and new tools easier.  I would like to move
the repository from subversion to git, opening up possibilities
for multiple threads of development.  I would like to convert
existing wiki content from Kwiki Wiki to MoinMoin, for better
security.

And I don't have the time or expertise to do any of that.

So, I am open to ideas here.  How can we move forwards?

Keith

PS, besides working on the house we bought a few months ago,
my main activities are selling a business, and working on
Server Sky ( http://server-sky.com ).  Lots to do.