[Dirvish] Dirvish Digest, Vol 69, Issue 1

Allen Cackowski allen at enertronllc.com
Fri Aug 6 12:43:54 UTC 2010


Test


-----Original Message-----
From: dirvish-bounces at dirvish.org [mailto:dirvish-bounces at dirvish.org] On Behalf Of dirvish-request at dirvish.org
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 8:00 AM
To: dirvish at dirvish.org
Subject: Dirvish Digest, Vol 69, Issue 1

Send Dirvish mailing list submissions to
	dirvish at dirvish.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.dirvish.org/mailman/listinfo/dirvish
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	dirvish-request at dirvish.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	dirvish-owner at dirvish.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Dirvish digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: dirvish and an lv snapshot (Jenny Hopkins)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:21:41 +0100
From: Jenny Hopkins <hopkins.jenny at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Dirvish] dirvish and an lv snapshot
To: Dirvish user and developer mailing list <dirvish at dirvish.org>
Message-ID:
	<AANLkTinhNWRh77nbhAUzVXcq_LcfFT-UyFP5a2mvX84K at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On 21 July 2010 10:09, Jenny Hopkins <hopkins.jenny at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 July 2010 13:33, Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Jenny Hopkins wrote:
>>> The shell script to create and mount an lvm partition before the
>>> dirvish backup runs for this vault is working very well, being called
>>> as a pre-client command from the conf local to that vault. ?the
>>> post-client line is trying to execute but failing with not much info,
>>> however:
>>
>> The post-client script is called after rsync finishes so you don't need
>> to worry that the mount is still busy because of that. There must be
>> some other problem.
>>
>> You're running a script called lvmsnapshot.sh, which you say isn't
>> giving you much info. So what is in that script? Where does it come
>> from? Does it have a facility to provide more info? If not can't you
>> just edit it so it does?
>>
>> BTW, does the output you have posted come from the dirvish log file? If
>> not, what is in the dirvish log file?
>>
>
> That log was from the dirvish log file. ? I'll increase logging from
> the lvmsnapshot.sh file and see if I can see what is going on then.
> It's handy that anything echoed from the bash script is captured by
> the dirvish log file.
>

Hullo again,

I thought I'd post my solution to this.

 With more debugging, I found that the problem was that the lvsnapshot
said it couldn't unmount the lvm snapshot and delete it, because the
mount was 'busy

Instead of running the unmount command as a post-client script, I
moved it to run as a post-server script, and this fixed the problem.
It could be that the pre-client and post-client scripts are copied to
the mount point to run, but then the post-client script won't unmount
as it is itself running from the directory it is trying to unmount.
Does this make sense?


Thanks,
Jenny


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Dirvish mailing list
Dirvish at dirvish.org
http://www.dirvish.org/mailman/listinfo/dirvish


End of Dirvish Digest, Vol 69, Issue 1
**************************************


More information about the Dirvish mailing list