[Dirvish] dirvish and an lv snapshot

Jenny Hopkins hopkins.jenny at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:21:41 UTC 2010

On 21 July 2010 10:09, Jenny Hopkins <hopkins.jenny at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 July 2010 13:33, Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Jenny Hopkins wrote:
>>> The shell script to create and mount an lvm partition before the
>>> dirvish backup runs for this vault is working very well, being called
>>> as a pre-client command from the conf local to that vault.  the
>>> post-client line is trying to execute but failing with not much info,
>>> however:
>>
>> The post-client script is called after rsync finishes so you don't need
>> to worry that the mount is still busy because of that. There must be
>> some other problem.
>>
>> You're running a script called lvmsnapshot.sh, which you say isn't
>> giving you much info. So what is in that script? Where does it come
>> from? Does it have a facility to provide more info? If not can't you
>> just edit it so it does?
>>
>> BTW, does the output you have posted come from the dirvish log file? If
>> not, what is in the dirvish log file?
>>

> That log was from the dirvish log file.   I'll increase logging from
> the lvmsnapshot.sh file and see if I can see what is going on then.
> It's handy that anything echoed from the bash script is captured by
> the dirvish log file.

Hullo again,

I thought I'd post my solution to this.

 With more debugging, I found that the problem was that the lvsnapshot
said it couldn't unmount the lvm snapshot and delete it, because the
mount was 'busy

Instead of running the unmount command as a post-client script, I
moved it to run as a post-server script, and this fixed the problem.
It could be that the pre-client and post-client scripts are copied to
the mount point to run, but then the post-client script won't unmount
as it is itself running from the directory it is trying to unmount.
Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Jenny