[Dirvish] Understanding the exclude

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Thu Apr 15 09:10:55 UTC 2010

On Thu 15 Apr 2010, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:

> I have a very simple dirvish configuration with two boxes making the backup. I
> thought that I have understood the config files but I sadly discovered that
> no.
>
> I have a vault with a default.conf file with :
>
> client: root at XXXX
> tree: /home/users
> xdev: 1
> whole-file: 1
> exclude:
>         home/users/home/**
>         home/users/ftp-user/**

The biggest obstacle to getting the excludes right IMHO is understanding
that the exclude rules are always relative to the root of the transfer.
In your case that means removing home/user from the excludes.
If the pattern starts at the root of the transfer (as it seems to be in
this case) then it's also advisable to let the pattern begin with a /
hence your conf becomes:

client: root at XXXX
tree: /home/users/
xdev: 1
whole-file: 1
exclude:
        /home/**
        /ftp-user/**

I also always add a trailing slash to the tree as that makes it more
obvious to me what the root is.

> Looking on the summary I have found that the command executed was:
>
> ACTION:
> rsync -vrltH --delete -W -pgo --stats -D --numeric-ids -x --exclude-from=/srv/backup/users/20100415000500/exclude --link-dest=/srv/backup/users/20100414000500/tree
> root at XXXX:/home/users/ /srv/backup/users/20100415000500/tree
>
> but i don't have any exclude file but I don't know if this file is created on
> demand or not. Please, could someone clarified what I'm doing wrong?

The referenced exclude file is created by dirvish from the configs.
You can see it while it's running.

Paul