[Dirvish] dirvish - solaris / linux

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Thu Sep 24 22:12:53 UTC 2009

Marc Davis wrote:
> I have a Solaris 10 box that follows a vendor mandated routine of tape
> backups that are cumbersome.

If Solaris is only a client, then only rsync is needed.  SunSSH which
should be installed on Solaris 10 by default is completely compatible
with OpenSSH.  If you need to install packages such as rsync, I
recommend using a site such as http://www.opencsw.org/ instead of
compiling by hand.  Installing rsync should be as simple as "pkg-get
install rsync" once you have installed pkg-get from their website.

> I currently run Dirvish on linux to back up my other linux servers.
> Note however that I am primarily the desktop guy and have inherited the
> sys admin's job kind of by default.
>

> Is there anything I particularly need to be aware of when backing up
> solaris to a linux box?

The main difference I know of is that Solaris 10 has two different
filesystems, UFS and ZFS.  UFS is similar in design to Ext3 and has
POSIX ACLs turned on by default.  ZFS uses NFSv4 ACLs natively, but they
may not be turned on by default.  Dirvish does not support NFSv4 ACLs,
but does support POSIX ACLs.  You will also need ACLs enabled on the
backup partition.  This is assuming that preserving ACLs are important
to you and that ACLs are being used.  If they aren't then there is very
little difference from Linux outside of installing rsync.

I do not have much experience with Solaris myself and I am not sure
whether Solaris uses ACLs normally or if there just for the benefit of
the Sysadmins.

> What about versions of rsync?

rsync --version
Make sure rsync has ACL support in it's version output if support for
POSIX ACLs is needed.

> Installing dirvish on solaris?

pkgadd -d http://www.opencsw.org/pkg_get.pkg
pkg-get install rsync