[Dirvish] dirvish - solaris / linux

Marc Davis marc.davis at drake.edu
Wed Sep 23 13:22:39 UTC 2009

I have a Solaris 10 box that follows a vendor mandated routine of tape backups that are cumbersome.

I currently run Dirvish on linux to back up my other linux servers.  Note however that I am primarily the desktop guy and have inherited the sys admin's job kind of by default.

Is there anything I particularly need to be aware of when backing up solaris to a linux box?

What about versions of rsync?

Installing dirvish on solaris?

Looking for someone to just kind of point me in the right direction and maybe do a little coaching.

I can find my way around linux okay, but I have no real training or familiarity with Solaris.

Thanks.

Marc Davis
Systems Associate
Cowles Library, Drake University