[Dirvish] backups and system load

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 04:45:51 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Jason Boxman <jasonb at edseek.com> wrote:

> The incident has brought back to the fore the necessity of an additional
> auxiliary backup system, for key files anyway.  DVD-RAM always sounds sexy.

Yes, but DVD recordable media are under suspicion for deteriorating over
time. I can't vouch personally, but I have heard reports that verified media
properly stored (in a light-proof case, in reasonable temperature) going bad
after few years and maybe even shorter periods. It may depend on the
recording drive and particular media manufacturer, but I haven't seen a
definitive long-term data retention study.

This isn't helped by the fact that well-known brands (Maxell, Verbatim, HP)
don't make their own media but rebrand OEM product, sometimes switching
supplies, sometimes with diametrally different quality. TAIYO YUDEN is often
mentioned as  a prime manufacturer; a reasonable writeup is on
http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp