[Dirvish] backups and system load

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Sep 11 16:00:12 UTC 2009

On Thu 10 Sep 2009, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> faster than experience accumulates.  Right now, I am experimenting
> with Antec Sonata Designer 500 cases with EarthWatt power supplies
> and extra 120mm slow fans.  These cases very quiet and efficient,
> and with luck the higher efficiency and multiple slow 120mm fans
> means less waste heat and fewer hot spots.  I'll tell you in three
> years whether they meet my expectations for durability :-)

My main PC has an Antec Sonata II case, with Antec 80plus PSU. That's
now 3.5 years old, and going strong (3 disks, Athlon64/X2 CPU). Only
thing was that the original 120mm case fan (which was settable to 3
different speeds) died due to faulty bearings, I replaced that with a
different (quiet) one.

This case also has an air filter at the front (where the air is drawn
in), only bad thing about that is that to remove it you have to pull it
downwards, i.e. first lift the entire case up.

My next case will also be an Antec. I might replace the case fan
preemptively however :-) I like the way the disks are mounted via rubber
thingies on a sliding mount, with the connections towards the outside
for easy access.

And now for something completely different:
At work I've found that backing up data is indeed a good test of
hardware. Even Dell poweredge 2950's which usually perform perfectly
will lock up every couple of months, while other (webserver) systems
have uptimes exceeding 3 years.

Paul