[Dirvish] backups and system load

foner-dirvish at media.mit.edu foner-dirvish at media.mit.edu
Thu Sep 10 22:22:25 UTC 2009

    > Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:06:28 -0400
    > From: Jason Boxman <jasonb at edseek.com>

    > Lately I've lost two PSUs.  Both went down while backups were running.
    > Anyone else experience that?  Nothing like some system load to take a
    > box out.

It's hard to believe they were -that- marginal.

Do your backups take place at the same time every day?  Perhaps
there's frequently a line disturbance at that time from heavy
equipment or the power company switching feeders or something.
High-voltage spikes seem much more likely to permanently take
out a power supply than an extra few watts of load from the disks.

(I'm assuming your backups aren't running most of the time, in
which case it's not much of a coincidence ni the first place... :)