[Dirvish] gvfs file can't be read

Frederik Braun Frederik.Braun at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Oct 8 22:47:59 UTC 2009

Jenny Hopkins schrieb:
> Hullo Dirvish,
>
> I've got a backup of an ubuntu system running gnome desktop
> environment that won't complete the cycle, do a chmod and write to the
> history file because of one file:
>
> rsync: readlink_stat("/home/laurie/.gvfs") failed: Permission denied (13)
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(1524) [generator=3.0.3]
>
> I've tried excluding this file from the backup with
> exclude:
>     /home/laurie/.gvfs/
>
> but this is being ignored.
> The file itself is some weird gnome virtual file system directory,
> permissions of
> dr-x------   2 laurie laurie       0 2009-10-07 17:02 .gvfs

I had similair issues with an Ubuntu installation a few monts ago. I
ended up having a rather long list of excluded directories like .gvfs,
but self-created, thus backup-worthier, files would still be included.
However, as of now I am unable to find the mentioned list of excluded,
as soon as I find my old dirvish-config.

> I'm not sure what this directory is for, and finding out is obviously
> for a different mailing list that this one, however I can't understand
> why it is not being excluded when I specifically asked it to.  Any
> ideas?

Also the "virtual file system" is some kind of abstraction layer for
sftp, sshfs and other mounts via "Places -> Connect to Server" in the
Gnome Menu
Also consider reading this maling-list thread
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/164943.html>
and this bug filed at launchpad
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/225361>

> Regarding my previous mail of full disk usage and duplicate backed up
> files - I finally gritted my teeth and deleted images from 30 Aug 09
> and before, and the disk usage shot back down to what it used to be.
> Thankyou!
>
> Jenny

Greetings,
Frederik