[Dirvish] Too much disk space for images

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Oct 2 19:35:01 UTC 2009

Getting a bit off-topic here :-)

On Fri 02 Oct 2009, Jason Boxman wrote:
> Paul Slootman wrote:
> >
> > So, be sure to check for unexpectedly large incrementals every day :-)
>
> I've been meaning to write a munin plugin that graphs that every day for
> about five years now.  Obviously, I still have not. ;)
>
> The challenge is munin runs every 5 minutes, so I'd need the plugin to
> only actually run `du` on the latest snapshot per vault every 24 hours
> and return the cached size the rest of the interval.  Not particularly
> difficult, but it would take longer than writing this email... or I'd
> just do it.

I've written a munin plugin for something unrelated but similar, that
caches the result because 3 separate plugins want the data that's
generated by just one command.

If you don't get round to writing something before next week or so, I'll
have a stab at it :-)

> Also been mulling a switch to Nagios for about 5 years. ;)

I use both.
I mainly use munin for watching trends (e.g. "how much has my data
traffic increased over the last month, and is the spike at the beginning
of the month normal").  There is a thing for nagios to use the munin
results for its detection, but mainly I use nrpe to fetch data from
systems for nagios.

> Maybe when I deploy chef in about 5 years...

/me googles chef

Paul