[Dirvish] Too much disk space for images

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Fri Oct 2 19:02:06 UTC 2009

Darren Hook wrote:
>> To stay in the dirvish spirit, hardlink those logs to the separate
>> directory instead of copying them :-) (use ln instead of cp)
>
> Further in the spirit of hardlinks - a useful little script you may
> want to check out is faster-dupemerge:
>
> http://www.hungrycats.org/~zblaxell/projects/dupemerge/dupemerge.html#faster
>
> It can free up lots of disk space, lost when files or large trees of
> folders are suddenly renamed or moved and dirvish/rsync has to
> transfer them all over again.

Yes, I've been using it for years.  It's rather nice.  If you have many
files, it eats up tons of space in /tmp for sort's temporary files.  I
had to limit it to running against the next most recent snapshot since
it runs nightly and limit it to checking for duplicates only per vault,
not bank wide.