[Dirvish] Too much disk space for images

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:29:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Jenny Hopkins <hopkins.jenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here.  I thought that the
> reason that one see the entire tree in every single image but files
> the same actually only exist once, is because they share 'nodes' in
> the filesystem.

Yes, something like that, but don't worry about the nodes, think of it
in terms of files. Each snapshot has all the files but under the
covers they refer to the same disk space, if the file didn't change.

Your storage looks like this (I converted the size to GB):

31.7 20090705
0.2 20090712
1.8 20090719
0.4 20090726
1.5 20090802
0.5 20090809
0.6 20090816
1.2 20090823
19 20090830
1.5 20090906
1.9 20090913
1.9 20090916
1.8 20090917
1.8 20090918
1.8 20090919
2 20090920
2 20090921
1.9 20090922
1.9 20090923

Total 75.4 GB, which is what you reported. Something must have
happened on Aug 30 that caused Dirvish to back up a lot of data.
Maybe look at  ls -liR 20090830, and look for files that have a small
link count in the third column---those are the unique copies that
contribute to the size of this directory