[Dirvish] Too much disk space for images

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:00:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Jenny Hopkins <hopkins.jenny at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hullo there,
>
> I've got a vault that has an average image size of 30G.  The entire
> vault,  consisting of 24 images, however, has a size of 70G.
>
> There have not really been many changes in this image since the first
> one in the vault, and I'm suprised the size of the whole vault is not
> much closer to the 30G.  Is there any way i can check to see if there
> is one particular image that suddenly created new nodes or some such
> thing?

The 'du' command is taking into account  hardlinks so if you do 'du -s *' in
your images directory, it'll tell you which images are larger than you
think. You can then drill down (  cd whateverDir; du -s *  ) to see where
your space is going.

This is at least true of GNU fileutils du on unixy filesystems.