[Dirvish] Calling dirvish by cron doesn't backup

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Tue Jan 27 10:34:35 UTC 2009

Just installed dirvish and made an initiation on the backup HDs. So far,
everything worked fine.

Now, when I call the backup from cron, dirvish just runs through within
a second and mails "done" to root. Nothing really happens.

When I call it by hand, backup runs as expected.

Let me give you a few details:

In /etc/crontab there is for instance:

15 09 * * 1-5 root /root/bin/backup-dirvish

This script of mine mounts the backup HD and starts dirvish:

#!/bin/sh

mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt

if [ ! -d /mnt/backups ]
then
     echo Backup HD not found
     exit 1
fi

/usr/local/sbin/dirvish-expire
/usr/local/sbin/dirvish-runall

umount /mnt

Having cron calling this script, it will just list the vaults and mail
"done". Calling the script manually as root will make a backup as expected.

Any idea?

Rolf