[Dirvish] dirvish-expire very slow

Quentin Hartman qhartman at concentricsky.com
Mon Jan 19 18:43:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 15:16 +0100, Dominik Schulz wrote:

> Filesystems tend to have a very high impact when deleting huge filetrees. I
> have rm often run several hours on ext3 when removing big directories. You
> should try out XFS if that is faster for you since it has generally a better
> performance when deleting than ext3.

I second the recommendation for XFS in this case. Not only is it fast,
but it also gets around the inode problem that EXT3 has. I also like how
particular XFS is about maintaining data integrity. It's a pain that it
forces the FS read-only when it detects problems, but I've had two
partial drive failures detected early enough that I was able to avoid
data loss and unscheduled downtime thanks to that feature.

Speaking of file systems, Anyone know how EXT4 handles inodes? If it is
more flexible than EXT3 in that regard and it's performance is actually
as good as the initial results seem to indicate, it could be a real
game-changer in the Linux FS space.

--
Quentin Hartman
Senior System Administrator