[Dirvish] Exclude all dev directories

Dominik Schulz lkml at ds.gauner.org
Mon Feb 23 12:39:36 UTC 2009

Am Montag 23 Februar 2009 12:28:29 schrieb Paul Slootman:
> On Mon 23 Feb 2009, Jenny Hopkins wrote:
> > I want to exclude all directories and subdirectories that are called
> > /dev/
> >
> > My backup contains a lot of development work on other hardware, and
> > I'm finding the backup is reporting failed due to trying to back up
> > non-regular files, e.g.
> >
> > IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
> > skipping non-regular file "home/wookey/acapela-bits/i386-lenny/dev/full"
>
> Normally rsync shouldn't have any trouble copying the device nodes...
> If you're running dirvish as a non-superuser, then that might explain
> it.
>
> Adding:
> rsync-option:
>     --no-D
> might be a better fix in that case.
I think this would be the best solution in this case.

Another reason for trouble with device nodes could occur when dirvish
(actually, rsync) runs inside a virtual server (Linux Vserver, OpenVZ, etc.)
where the kernel prevents certain operations, even to the super-user.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Dominik