[Dirvish] performance issues with dirvish

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Feb 18 10:23:42 UTC 2009

On Tue 17 Feb 2009, Frederik Braun wrote:

> should maybe tell rsync to quit, when killed (I sent a TERM) - why are
> there two rsyncs doing the same (at least it appears so to me):

Apart from what Shawn already wrote about NFS, which I completely agree
with, rsync always runs two processes on the receiving end, one to
communicate with the sender, and one to handle the file IO (very
simplified explanation...). Hence that's perfectly normal.

> 1) concerning the weekly backups, I thought about switching to daily or
> hourly backups...how often do you run dirvish?

I usually run daily backups, for some critical things where a lot of
work is done during the day I run dirvish additionally at 10:00, 12:30,
14:00.

I never run dirvish less frequently than daily.

Paul