[Dirvish] performance issues with dirvish

Quentin Hartman qhartman at concentricsky.com
Tue Feb 17 22:53:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 22:37 +0100, Frederik Braun wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm using dirvish for a few weeks now and have some questions regarding
> its performance.

The performance you see will (of course) depend on the volume of data
you are moving, your actual sustainable transfer speed, and whether or
not you have a lot of little files or a few big files. The number of
files being related to performance is totally anecdotal; I don't have
any numbers to prove it. However, I have noticed that fewer,larger files
seem to get backed up more quickly than more,smaller files where the
actual volume of data is approximately the same. This intuitively makes
sense to me.

Any rate, as a point of reference, I am moving about 20GB of data a
night (lots of little files) and it takes about 3 hours to complete,
including expiration. This is over SSH on a Gb network.

--
Quentin Hartman
Senior System Administrator
qhartman at concentricsky.com