[Dirvish] Dirvish - ignore 'Device or resource busy'?

hanj mailing at astarna.com
Wed Sep 10 13:30:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:00:07 -0700
Eric Searcy <emsearcy at gmail.com> wrote:

> One solution is to use the Volume Shadow Service to always have your
> files available.  Its like making an LVM snapshot, but on Windows it has
> the added benefit of avoiding file locking.
>
> Since rsync is not VSS-aware like NTBackup, the key to integrating this
> with rsync is to create a VSS image of the drive(s) daily (either
> scheduled daily, or maybe pre-client?) and have that image mapped to a
> different drive letter(s).

Hello

I think I want to avoid this, it'll use too much disk. Won't NTBackup
just make a large .bkf file? Which will be different every night when
dirvish runs? Also, new TDB files could be created/deleted, so just
selecting those in NTBackup will add just another thing 'to-do' for the
backup. As it stands now, it's very simple and takes little involvement
from anyone when the image changes.

I'm hoping for a 'easy' solution, since we're dealing with < 10 .TDB
files causing problems on a semi daily basis. I'm hoping for a rsync
flag (not really seeing anything) that can ignore those files if
they're locked or move them if they're free.

Thanks!
hanji