[Dirvish] Dirvish - ignore 'Device or resource busy'?

Eric Searcy emsearcy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:00:07 UTC 2008

hanj wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I'm connecting to a windows server using gentoo/dirvish and
> win2003/cygwin/rsync. I'm having some trouble with files that are busy
> on the system. Is there a simple way to ignore these when encountered?
> I understand that this is a rsync 'warning', but this blows my backup
> image when encountered.

One solution is to use the Volume Shadow Service to always have your
files available.  Its like making an LVM snapshot, but on Windows it has
the added benefit of avoiding file locking.

Since rsync is not VSS-aware like NTBackup, the key to integrating this
with rsync is to create a VSS image of the drive(s) daily (either
scheduled daily, or maybe pre-client?) and have that image mapped to a
different drive letter(s).

More here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/adioltean/archive/2005/01/20/357836.aspx

-Eric